|Home » |
Creative Sound Blaster EVO ZxR Headset with Mobile Bluetooth Wireless and Active Noise Cancellation
How do you enhance audio fidelity from a pair of headphones?
Harness the power of audio processing right on your headset! Thanks to the built-in SB-Axx1™ audio processor of the Sound Blaster EVO ZxR headset, you get vastly improved audio delivered to your ears in real-time. Be amazed by what you hear, even if it's from the most compressed sources.
Get ready to unleash the full power and clarity of your audio.
Sound Blaster EVO ZxR's FullSpectrum™ 50mm audio drivers are capable of reproducing the full audible range of the audio spectrum, so you won't miss a beat.
Like your music punchy? More bass? Or want more immersive surround effects from your movies?
Make these real-time playback adjustments by simply changing your audio settings with the Sound Blaster Central app, and then hear your audio come to life.
The headset's ear cups cover your ears entirely, effectively shutting out external noise, while the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) feature detects and cancels out the ambient noise electronically.
Want to hear someone without taking off your headset? Simply press the TalkThrough button and continue conversing.
With the headset supporting aptX® and AAC technologies, you're assured that the audio content transmitted over Bluetooth® is crystal clear.
With the Sound Blaster EVO ZxR, you can even experience cinematic, virtual 7.1 surround sound when you connect the headset to your PC or Mac!
Communicate with confidence and be understood. The integrated dual beamforming microphones work in tandem with the headset's advanced CrystalVoice™ technologies to make sure you're always heard clearly.
Ambient noise and echoes picked up by the microphones are reduced drastically. Likewise, unwanted noise from incoming calls is also being eliminated. CrystalVoice creates an acoustic zone that picks up only your voice and nothing else, so you can still be heard with amazing clarity in noisy environments.
Enjoy improved audio clarity for your voice calls through your mobile phone or VoIP service as Sound Blaster EVO ZxR supports wideband Bluetooth technology, which enables more details of the voice data to be transmitted.
* HD Voice functionality is dependent on the mobile device and service operator.
Remember the occasions when you tried in vain to instruct some voice-activated application to perform a task? With high-quality voice pickup and all the voice technologies packed into your headset, your commands can be transmitted accurately all the time.
Use Sound Blaster EVO ZxR as a VoIP headset while connected to your PC or Mac®.
Simply tap your Near Field Communications (NFC)-enabled device on the headset for easy, one-touch Bluetooth pairing.
Sound Blaster EVO ZxR supports up to two Bluetooth connections simultaneously, which is great if you're watching a movie on your tablet but wish to instantly switch to answer a call from another paired smart device
Besides Bluetooth pairing via NFC or the conventional way, you can also connect the headset to your PC or entertainment devices using the USB 2.0 connection, or the analog 3.5mm jack.
Use the included analog cable for direct connection to your portable media player, or swap it with your own cable of a different length.
Get the most out of your Sound Blaster EVO ZxR headset with the Sound Blaster Central app, from www.soundblaster.com. The Sound Blaster Central app for smart devices gives you unprecedented audio controls and enhancements right in the palm of your hand.
Enjoy your music wherever you go as the built-in rechargeable battery has enough power for up to eight hours of continuous wireless audio playback.
Low on power? Conveniently charge the headset via USB and continue to enjoy high-quality audio while doing so.
For easy storage and maximum portability, the headset folds flat and can be kept in the handy carrying case.
Welcome the arrival of the latest generation of console gaming! Get yourself ready to experience some unparalleled realistic gaming action by gearing up with the Sound Blaster EVO ZxR, compatible with the new Playstation®4 via 4 pole 3.5mm audio connector in analog mode.
|Average Customer Rating:
|| based on 71 reviews|
Average Customer Review:
( 71 customer reviews )
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
41 of 43 found the following review helpful:
Good audio, ANC could be better at sub-frequencies. Bad stress point design!Nov 14, 2013
By Robert Joy
VERY IMPORTANT: See UPDATE 2 & 3 below!!!!
Let me preface this review by saying, unlike most others here I am an audiophile (actually a professional musician at one point in my life and have done audio engineering and composing for myself and others). I've also been a electrical engineer and currently work as a software engineer so I am very savvy about electronic products.
I've been looking around for some decent ANC BT headphones I can leave on my head most of the day while I work and because I've had pretty good experiences with Creative products in the past I decided to give these headphones a try.
The headphones are comfortable to wear. I wore them for a good part of a day and never felt any pain or distress. My ears did get a little bit sweaty but in all fairness it was somewhat warm here so that was a factor.
Audio quality 4/5:
Since I am an audiophile I tend to be very critical of audio quality (See UPDATE 1 below). I listened to a variety of music (classical, rock, jazz) and the sound quality is good. There is an emphasis on the low end. I turned off all the extra processing and listened to a few pieces of music. The low end was more prominent than I'm used to. I'm not going to say it's bad, it's just louder than what I would consider normal. The good news is there is a built-in graphic equalizer that can be used to reduce the low end to the desired level.
I have not tried many of the audio features yet but I will update this review as I encounter those.
ANC 4/5 (Revised):
This was one of the main reasons I purchased these as I live near a rather noisy street. The headphones do a decent job, however, when reading "Advanced Active Noise Cancellation" as part of the spec I envisioned the ANC would be VERY good, probably better than most other headphones on the market. Not quite as good as I expected. The ANC is fairly good, however, the really low end (rumble, sub frequency such as a semi truck tires smashing into a pothole and hip-hop thumpers) is not as good as it could be. Higher frequencies generally are not handled well by ANC systems so I wasn't expecting much here although there was some cancellation.
I own some much cheaper (~$120) non-BT JVC headphones I bought many years ago that are way better at ANC with the sub frequencies. So I do know what good ANC sounds like and these are not what I would call "Advanced". Decent would be accurate.
The other problem here is if you want to use these headphones for ANC only while not listening to music or some other source (See NOTE 1 below for update), the battery conservation system kicks in after about 5-10 minutes (haven't timed it) and turns the headphones off. Obviously, this can be very annoying. Creative needs to consider this in any updates they make to these headphones. A way to turn off power saving mode or possibly the headphones could say "Shutting down in 10 seconds" at which time you could press any button to reset the timer. Right now all you get is a beep signal telling you that the headphones are being turned off. There is no time to push any buttons to attempt to reset a timer.
Build quality 1/5 (see UPDATE 2 below):
The hardware design looks pretty solid and well thought out. All plastic design but the red portion looks like it is a light weight metal. Just overall nicely done and looks good too. Button placement is good. USB and audio jack placement is clean and logical.
I was able to pair the headphones with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I installed their app and was able control various audio settings of the headphones and check the battery level. I was also able to play music via BT and the sound quality was good. I tried to dual pair the BT with my PC. It was able to see the headphones but was not actually able to pair with the PC. This was a bit disappointing as I was hopeful of using this with my PC as well.
Worked as expected. I was able to connect to the PC and listen to audio from the computer via USB.
Windows 8.1 0/5:
I have Windows 8.1 on my main computer. Unfortunately, as of this writing Creative has apparently NO drivers for 8.1. So I am unable to install the control software. When I try to install I get the error: "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system". This error makes no sense actually. I get this whether the headphones USB is plugged in or not. On Creatives website they indicate the drivers will be available, if I'm reading this right, at the end of Jan 2014. What's amazing to me is that Creative didn't release this product with 8.1 support right out of the chute.
While the headphones are not perfect, I do plan to keep them. They address most of my needs but not all. Hopefully Creative will roll out some updates that will improve things. Or maybe one of their support folks will read this post and tell us how to resolve some of these issues. Stay tuned for updates.
!!!!! UPDATE 1
If the headphones are actively paired with a BT device then the power saving mode does NOT turn on. You can run ANC forever in this case.
The audio quality is actually quite good. I've been listening to some symphonic pieces and the range of the music is handled very nicely.
More updates soon ....
!!!!!!! UPDATE 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After using the headphones infrequently for 1.5 months the ear cup mount piece where it's connected to the headband literally snapped. All 3 screw points broke. This is a stress point when you put the headphones on and take them off. You are spreading the headphones apart. One generally holds the 2 ear cups to do this, putting a lot of stress on these tiny plastic mounts. The design here is very very bad (yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I've been an Engineer for nearly 40 years and know a lot about mechanical design).
I contacted Creative to ask if they were going to redesign this or possibly provide metal parts to replace this plastic parts. The response I got was "no". I told them that if there was not going to be a redesign or the parts were not going to be replaced with metal versions then I wanted a refund. I'm awaiting their response. Right now I am recommending that NOBODY buy these headphones or any Creative headphone that uses this design which essentially rules out the whole EVO product line. The mechanical design where stress points are NOT involved is decent but at these stress points it's horribly bad if done with plastic (metal would work as it is much stronger). These headphones are guaranteed to break. I only used these headphones about a dozen times over that 1.5 month period.
!!!!!!! UPDATE 3 !!!!!!!!
Creative told me to return the headphones to Amazon which I plan to do. For $300, the mechanical design should be solid and it's not even close. Once again, unless Creative redesigns the stress point mount pieces or starts using metal parts here these headphones are guaranteed to break. I hope they take my comments to heart. The product has a lot of potential.
11 of 12 found the following review helpful:
Great bluetooth headphones for Music, but what about wireless gaming?Oct 26, 2013
Been toying with these for hours now and here's my honest opinion...
1. Pairs nicely with my Samsung Galaxy S4 and Asus USB BT400 PC adapter over bluetooth.
2. Over bluetooth, I'm surprised at how loud you can get these headphones without losing quality. Don't forget there's a volume control on the side!
2. Compared to my Audio Technica ATH-M50, the EVO ZxR has more bass, which I was hoping for.
3. The sound stage of these headphones are great. Compared to the ATH-M50, the sound emits at a much closer proximity.
4. The noise cancelling feature is decent at blocking out my PC fan noise, but could be better.
5. Headphones are light enough. It's hard to believe there's a battery in there.
6. Headphones are comfortable enough.
7. Not sure if it depends on the bluetooth devices used, but my phone was upstairs and I could still listen to my music downstairs, so range is a plus!
8. These headphones really shine when watching movies.
1. These headphones are labeled as wireless gaming headphones, but they don't output sound while gaming on PC over bluetooth? This is a big upset...
2. There may be a possible issue with the SoundBlaster EVO controller app for PC. If you have bluetooth enabled with the USB cord plugged in, the app seems to throw the bluescreen of death and restarts my PC ever time I click through the settings.
3. Did not come with a USB bluetooth adapter for PC use. Not a prob for laptop users I guess...
4. Did not come with bundled software. Had to download it, which must be inconvenient for those without internet...
5. There's a sound control app for android use and for wired USB use on PC, but no support for bluetooth use on PC?
7. Don't plan on using these corded much, but the 3.5mm and USB cables should be longer.
Will keep this review updated... stay tuned...
6 of 6 found the following review helpful:
Major design flaws, but great connectivity.Jan 21, 2014
By Giovanni Glass
The connectivity of these headphones are ahead of any headphones.
1. NFC pairing. Pairing to Android is fast and easy.
2. Noise cancelling
3. Bluetooth with Apt-X CD quality when connected to supporting Bluetooth devices
4. A control app on PC and Android. It tells you battery life, settings and configuration.
5. USB connectivity that also charges. Thick cable. Use your headphones like a sound card to the PC.
6. Sound environments.
7. Voice morphing.
1. The joint between the ear cup and metal band is connected by a piece of black plastic and 3 screws. This is the weakest point of failure.
2. The suction between the ear and ear cup can be strong and you can hear and feel the suction when you press buttons against the ear cup.
3. The 3.5mm, 4 pole TRS audio cable is thin and not competitive with other headsets in this price range. It's broken into two cables. One for connecting to a PC with a mic and audio out. One for daisy chaining this cable to a phone.
Suggestions for improvement.
1. Use thicker 3.5mm audio cables.
2. Fix the 3 screw plastic joint by using metal or something sturdier. People with big heads will break the joint easily when they spread open the headset.
3. Change the headphones to circumaural instead of supra-aural. I find that I can't wear these headphones for long periods. The pressure against my ears is painful after an hour or so.
4. Put some air vents to prevent a vacuum between my ear drums and the ear cups.
6 of 7 found the following review helpful:
Right headpiece broke off after 1.5 months of use!Dec 01, 2013
By Jacob B
I was looking for a 'switchblade' of headsets - something I can use for gaming, watching movies on the iPad, listening to music while mowing my lawn and conference calls for work. I figured that for $300 I will be buying just that and also something that will last a very long time, so I bought this headset as soon as it came out. Seems like this product was rushed out the door before holidays with little attention to detail.
- Excellent gaming headset, I was able to hear enemies walking up behind me in BF4 and it definitely gave me an edge
- Bluetooth flawlessly paired up with my android phone, wife's iPhone, iPad mini, iPad2
- Sound Blaster software is fantastic with 3 presets for gaming, music & movies, fits anything I needed so far
- Voice crystalizer is a gimmick but it was fun at first for prank calling friends while speaking as elf, woman, demon, etc
- USB cord is sturdy and was long enough for me
- Excellent battery life
- Music, movie, gaming sound is superb
- Mike is not in your face
- No mute button! There are pause/skip/forward buttons, but no mute button?!?
- No automatic power off mechanism. If you forget to turn the headphones off, they will drain the battery until they eventually die (I guess it's a pseudo power off mechanism)
- Noise cancellation is a joke, it'll partially block out the hum of my PC or the fan in the room, but it's quiet useless really.
- Noise canceling mike is a joke. I tested these while driving in a car with windows closed, people could hear the road noise. People could hear dog barking, kids yelling, wife yelling in the background when on conference calls.
- Over the ear headphones without noise canceling do not block out as much sound as my cheap $30 gaming headset
- While connected via USB to PC and answering a call via bluetooth, the PC sound would turn off and I would only hear my phone call. I was able to get both USB & bluetooth to work at the same time, but inconstantly.
- The connector that holds the earpiece to the band is made of cheap plastic. Everything else is metal and appears to be sturdy, but this definitely a weak spot that will eventually break. Mine broke after 1.5 month of heavy but careful use, I pulled the headset off my head and the plastic connector just snapped off. Creative has been plagued by these issues with their other cheaper gaming headsets(you can find reviews with a bit of googling) and I'm shocked it wasn't fixed for this version.
All in all, I actually liked this headset very much and tried to make it work while overlooking some of the nit-picky stuff I listed in the cons. But the headpiece breaking off was the straw that broke the camels back and I will be returning these (thanks amazon!) since I don't expect the replacement to last much longer. Not going to chase the fantasy of the all purpose headset so I'll buy a wired gaming headset for under $100 and a usb in ear headset for conference calls, working out & watching movies on iPad, and will probably have some $$$ left over.
15 of 20 found the following review helpful:
Best Bluetooth Headset EVER!Oct 17, 2013
By Lewis P.
Don't listen to the guys who are hating on these headphones. Obviously they don't know much about how bluetooth works. If you want the deep bass, you have to set it up that way. Bluetooth audio always sounds flat unless you change the settings! All of the problems I've seen here are nothing to do with the actual headset which I say is the best bluetooth-capable headset that I've ever used.
I'm not an audiophile but the sound quality is comparable with Beats by Dre pro or similar-priced headsets from what I've heard so far.
Try listening to hardstyle music on here with the setting on music.. make sure the volume is good and loud.. Or take a listen to classical music... Or Rap, Blues, Rock, Bluegrass,,, you name it --- It all sounds amazing. The key is that if you want to play music over bluetooth, you need to have a decent computer or cellphone and you have to get the app to set the setting to music.
The beam-forming microphone works awesome and the voice comes out very clear. Also if you have an Iphone/Android you can get apps to morph your voice. I'm pretty sure that this is also available for the computer version also, though I'm not positive about this.
Look; these headphones are state-of-the-art in many ways; not just the fact that they can be connected in 3 different ways to audio, they have awesome microphone technology, amazing sound quality on the headphones, 8 hours of battery life (rechargeable by USB, and you can listen to the computer while you're charging).
I've purchased more than 30 different kinds of bluetooth earpieces and headsets for my iphone over the past few years... This headset is not low-profile by any stretch but they are the best that I've ever had at any size.
If you consider how many different features that the headset has, it really is the only headset you need for everything; unless you want low-profile stuff... In this case, you need to get another headset also...
Personally, I wasn't expecting such an amazing headset when I purchased them but they really are such great headphones.
Don't let the people who don't know how to use them / or got a bad pair of headphones dissuade you from buying them.
To people that know a little bit about bluetooth and bluetooth headphones, and have a use for them; THESE WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU.
They have many unique features and really are a special treasure for tech-savvy people..
I mean seriously what other brand of headset has two apps for Iphone and Android with so many cool settings, ability to morph your voice, spectacular audio quality, and such a full featured PC software?
I'm suspicious that maybe the other reviews on here are a hit-job by the competition or maybe they got a bad pair or maybe they just don't understand the technology.
Anyways, I actually understand a bit about bluetooth headsets and earpieces, I also understand a bit about related technology. These headphones are well worth the price for me.
Other headphones like Bose, Phillips, Plantronics, Jabra, Seinhizer, Monster, Blueant, SoundID, Denon, Jawbone, etc... They are only really for a particular task which they do with varying degrees of quality..
When looking at all angles, these headphones destroy the competition because they are very good at many different things, also they have many special features that you will not find on other products.
See all 71 customer reviews on Amazon.com